Re: Steering Shaft Removal

To: "Jeremy Welsch" <worm611@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Shaft Removal
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:02:35 -0700
> #1 how to take the horn button off without damaging it

Push in and turn, I believe CCW but don't quote me.

> #2, do I have to pull the entire steering assembly or will just the rod
> slide out through the passenger compartment

late 67 and newer have a collapsible steering column, to keep you
from getting skewered in a nasty frontal impact. The column is
actually two parts, one that slides inside the other. The manuals
I've read talk about the two parts needing to be properly aligned
if they are separated (but I don't know how to do so, or if it really
makes any difference). Short answer: if you yank the shaft from
inside the car, you'll still have a shaft bolted into the box.

Note: You must completely remove (not just loosen) the bolt that
clamps the shaft to the U-joint. The bolt fits in a groove in the shaft
and locks it in place.

-- John