Re: My Miata seat install experience

To: Allen Blackmon <orangedawg@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: My Miata seat install experience
From: Eric <egustavson@bigpond.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 07:15:07 +1000
Allen Blackmon wrote:

>Allen Blackmon
>1970 2000 w/ early Solex's (still can't get them tuned correctly!)
>Wenatchee, WA

Hi Allen,
saw your post and note re: tuning early solexes.  Have you checked the
brass blanking plugs that are in the choke (cold start) circuit??  On
early solexes, they can sometimes leak slightly (or a lot!) so the car
runs rich on one cylinder.  It's an easy fix if you know about it,
though it took me several days to discover the problem.  My fix was to
use a brass drift and give the plug (one on each carb) a tap to reseat
as they are only a hard press fit from the factory, and instantly the
problem was gone.  The plugs are there to close off an internal drillway.

I have heard of extreme frustration with this on the part of some owners
because they were not aware of this issue, that got to the point where
they took the foolish step of changing to Webbers.... or worse, rebuilt
the engine needlessly.

I thought that the early solexes were used only up to the early numbers
of 1968.  Have you added these?

regards,

Eric in Townsville, Queensland
1970 1600 rhd (Australia)