Solid State Voltage Regulators?

To: Datsun Roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Solid State Voltage Regulators?
From: Dave Corbitt <DCorbitt77@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 11:59:22 -0400
I have a '69 2000. I asked a few days ago about voltage regulator
issues, got lots of answers. Thanks to all for their help. I have two
original style voltage regulators with contact points and coils. I
was having overcharging with both where the Alternator was cranking
out 17 volts above 2K rps. I opened up one of then and cleaned the
contacts and now it regulates around 13.5-14.2.  the other one is
brand new from one of my favorite Roadster parts suppliers and it
looks like it is out of calibration, needs all the contact points
bent to adjust the sensitivity and output voltage. Contacts clatter
away on both with the coils doing what they are supposed to do
sensing voltage and turning the field coil current on and off to
regulate output. Primitive and clunky but it works (for now). Be
forewarned to anyone changing out an old style mechanical voltage
regulator that they will sometimes need to be "tuned" for the correct
output voltage. I really am leery of the mechanical nature of these
old style regulators and would like to replace it with a solid state
one. Anyone have any leads on this? I have a replacement solid state
regulator I bought on ebay apparently for a B210 but it doesn't turn
the alternator field coil on so there must be an incompatibility
issue with the wiring even though it has the same connector as the
mechanical VR's. I'm pretty good at figuring this stuff out if I have
good schematics and suspect if I can move the connections on the
solid state one, it would probably work with my Roadster's
alternator. Any leads on where to find schematics for this regulator
would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave C
Summit, NJ