Black Smoke

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Black Smoke
From: <mjsutter@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:58:40 -0800
Listers,

In the last few weeks the 2 liter has been blowing an increased amount of
black smoke out the tailpipe during hard acceleration, and at idle I can
definitely sense the presence of fuel in the air. I checked the height of the
jets and they were within a turn of topping out lean. The slides are working
as intended. On a whim I turned the jets full up and the black smoke appeared
to diminish somewhat, but it's still pretty bad. I returned them to about 1.5
turns out and shut the car off.

Details: no smog equipment, needle type unknown, stock air cleaner, header.

I figure the throttle shafts are pretty loose in the throttle bodies, but that
would cause a lean condition instead of rich.

I guess I will pull out the needles and see what number they are. In the mean
time, what's the consensus on jet setting and what are the recommended needles
for a stock motor?

The timing is in the ballpark and the advance appears in spec with the tech
manual.

What do you have for me?

Thanks,

Mike