Re: Roadster LSD wanted

To: William Lewis <william.lewis@ucdmc.ucdavis.edu>,
Subject: Re: Roadster LSD wanted
From: RacerY@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:47:37 +0000
And once you get used to the locked rear,
it's definately a performance advantage over an open diff.

Personally, I think that it actually gives more control than a limited slip-
I can move the rear of the car around in a corner a lot more than with the LSD.

It also gives you a bit more warning in the wet- at Portland, in early May, we
were running in ever- wetter conditions, but still had lots of grip.  The back
'straight' at Portland is actually an off- camber curve- it doesn't FEEL like a
corner, but you can pull half a lateral G back there.
Anyway, about 8 laps in, I'm hard on the gas down the back straight trying to
catch a 911- and I feel the rear end drop out from the inside to the outside
wheel.  Still plenty of grip- but that's a sensation I usually only get when
I'm at 75% or more in a hard corner.
'Ok' I think, 'THAT's good to know' and on the following lap, I make a real
effort to be smooooth getting out of t6 and into t8... and sure enough, going
into 8, the 911 discovers that there's less grip in the braking area than there
was last time through, and he slides straight.
So sometimes the welded diff is pretty darned good...

But yes, it's hell in the paddock when you're trying to turn much at all....

and I really couldn't advise a locked rear on the street, either...

It must be story time!
Toby
EP2002 in ICSCC

From: DatsunDoc@aol.com