Project update, cracked rim, blown fuses

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Project update, cracked rim, blown fuses
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 05:28:08 -0700
Well, since I asked for and received so much helpful advice, I figured I
am due an update for all who chipped in.

The "cracked rim" diagnosis, once the tire was removed, didn't show a
crack.  The tire place (Big O) told me they couldn't even order a tube.
After much worrying about finding a matching rim (agonizing over why
didn't I buy Victor's 15" Revolutions???), I decided to take it to
another tire place (Goodyear), who said they would check it out.  Leaky
valve stem, outta there and back on the road for 8 bucks.  (Victor, I
took pics of rim markings, as I knew you were interested in size/offset)

Blinker lights blowing fuses.
After checking the rear blinker sockets about 42 times, a call to Paul
Bauman who, in a fit of electrical genius blurted out "uhh Fergus, ya
know they blink in the front too, have you checked those?" got me on the
right track.
After discovering a PO wiring fire remains at the front left, a healthy
dose of liquid electrical tape and 3M e-tape cure that.  I removed all
the blinker lite sockets, cleaned them with sandpaper taped to a dowel
chucked in the cordless drill, replaced all the leaky bulb base springs,
and re-assembled.  They work fine, I haven't got any miles with the
lites continuous on to check fuse life, but things seem better, and the
front side marker lites are blinking, which is a first on my car!  All
blinkers working fine except Right-front, which with lites on does
something strange.  When removing the marker lite and blinker bucket, I
made sure to mark and re-connect as it was before, but I suspect I
replicated what wasn't right, so more checking to be done.

Thanks for the plethora of helpful E-advice.  I am back on the road!!!!
Fergus O, 69 2L, HB, CA