EI info needed

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: EI info needed
From: "gregs672liter@netzero.net" <gregs672liter@netzero.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 22:23:00 GMT
First, thanks to all of you who have provided suggestions regarding this
ignition miss... they are all greatly appreciated!
Now, from those of you running an EI ignition, I need to know if this is
normal:  Voltage on the positive side of the coil is 13.5 (that sounds good).
On the negative BEFORE start up it is 7.6.  Then while the car is running the
positive remains 13.5 while the negative varies between 15.8 and 16.9, usually
about 16.5 volts.  The variability was not erratic, just noticed different
voltage on the two different times I checked it.  Normal?
Also, I ran a separate wire to the battery to power my ignition with a clean
signal... still no joy, stumble continued. While moving my ignition module
wires around with the engine running I did seem to notice some change at times
where the stumbling improved a lot, other times it made no difference. I have
high quality plug wires (Jacobs) in good condition, but I am wondering if
maybe I am getting a lot of magnetic interference from them.  These wires are
supposed to be for the street but maybe I have too much "stuff" in one area.
During testing conditions today however, only the coil (MSD blaster) was in
use, though the jacobs coil and spark box are close by (coil on the firewall,
box where the battery normally sits).  I am not sure if they could cause
problems even if they are not being used.  Of course, the dizzy ignition
module is right next to the plug wire.  I did try to shield the module and the
wires going to it with a leather glove, and I moved the wires down lower, but
the stumble continues.  Who has experience with magnetic interference?  Would
a glove do anything to provide shielding?  I have yet to put a ground wire on
the dizzy/module as has been suggested by one of you and to which I have seen
referenced on a website before.  Still working on it!  Thanks gang... Barbie
wants to go to Shasta and drink beer!
Greg