transporting rear clip - conclusion!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: transporting rear clip - conclusion!
From: Brian Reynolds <brianrreynolds@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 02:06:02 -0400 (EDT)
Recently I asked the list about the wisdom of putting a rear clip on the
roof of a Taurus vs. a trailer...

After receiving advice from this list, I had decided on taking a trailer,
but then the owner of the clip discovered that the rear fenders were not
originals but replacements that had been welded on by a previous owner. I
decided that if the joints between the panels are hidden with bondo and
not the original factory lead method then it's not worth the trouble to
bring back the clip in one piece. I left the trailer at home, grabbed my
DeWalt saw and left Toronto for Chicago. The DeWalt cut through the clip
like a hot knife through butter. I cut through the trunk area so I could
let the body shop decide where to make a precise cut later. The only
difficulty was the triangular hollow area just ahead of the trunk floor.
Afterwards we discovered that a mouse had made a nest in this hollow area.

I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend in Chicago - such a great city! I was
surprised to see a Roadster driving around downtown. It was red with a
dent in the front and red stock wheels - hello to you if you're on this
list! Maybe a Roadster sighting is nothing unusual for those of you in
California, but in 30+ years I have NEVER spotted an unknown Roadster on
the roads of Ontario.

So, getting four relatively rust-free Roadster fenders and a nice time in
Chicago was worth driving the 1,664km (1,034 mile) round-trip. I'm glad I
left the trailer at home, as it had no suspension and I had forgotten that
the American Interstate system seems to be under perpetual reconstruction
- nice smooth road west of Detroit, though.

My next trip will hopefully be to Watkins Glen in the 2000 - hope to see
many of you there.

Cheers,
-Brian Reynolds
Toronto