Re: Rebuilding a 1600

To: "Tim" <tputland@charter.net>,
Subject: Re: Rebuilding a 1600
From: "SlowBoy" <slowboy@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:57:47 -0700
Tom Walter (on the List) use to make the plugs to block the air injector
holes. Don't know if he is still doing it.

I have a Gary Boone (on the List) electronic distributor for one car and a
non-smog distributor (I got from Dean http://www.datsunparts.com/) in
another.

The following is from the http://311s.org/

Question: How do I de-smog a later car?

Answer: First you need to recurve the distributor to the early car specs of
7.5 degrees. There are several ways to accomplish this.

a.. 1. Recurve with internal parts for an early distributor-springs, backing
plate and weights.
a.. 2. Replace existing distributor with a rebuilt early distributor.
a.. 3. Replace existing distributor with one of Gary Boone's EI
distributors.(My choice)

For installing a new distributor you can go here to read about that!

Next, you will need to remove the air injection tubes and plug the holes in
the head and intake manifold. The holes in the head are 10MM X 1.5 Pitch.
There was someone making plugs for the head on the list and I believe
Ralleye also sells them. The intake fittings are a real bear to remove and
you might just want to pull the intake to get them out. You can then retap
them for a standard threaded plug. There are actually four things to do to
completely desmog the later intake. Plug the two holes in the top where the
ait tubes went. Remove and plug the small nipple on the balance tube towards
the front. Remove the electrical device with the wires coming out of it on
the front side of the balance tube. You can pull it off and use the base as
a template to make a solid plate to bolt on where it used to go.

Reset the timing to 0 degrees TDC, start her or him up and fine tune the
timing for optimum performance. You can also static time with points by
leaving the ignition key on and moving the dizzy until you get a spark.
Tighten the dizzy down and you should be very close. An R16 is 16 degrees
BTDC at around 600 RPMs.

It was recently pointed out that you should change out the needles in your
carbs to the non-smog type as well. Makes sense to me and never having done
a smogged car I missed that tid-bit the first time around. Thanks TR!

That pretty much covers de-smogging a later car.