RE: Cracked firewall - Any tips on fixing?

To: "'Karl Payne'" <karlepayne@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Cracked firewall - Any tips on fixing?
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 10:13:12 +0930
"I have a 1966 1600 roadster with a cracked firewall in the brake Master
Cylinder area.  The MC moves visibly when I hit the brakes... NOT GOOD.
This is the flat firewall roadster, i.e., no cutout/indentation for the
brake master cylinder.
Has anyone fixed one of these?
I see the famous brake brace for sale by several vendors, but I think this
applies only to the firewall-indented roadsters which came with dual res.
MC's.
Karl Payne"

Hi Karl,
I have a '65 SP310 with exactly the same issues.
The firewall had been repaired some time previous and it looks lke a
spiderweb, see 060.
I am re-doing it but just to tidy it up.
I am designing a pair of braces which go in the channels where the two
master cylinder shafts come through.
Once anchored in position [that will be the hard part] they will re-inforce
the firewall from the horizontal panel forward of the screen to the base of
the toe board, see 061.
You can see in 061 that the steering column mount is rectangular BUT it lies
down and interferes with the brace design.
I guess there will be some surgery to avoid that area.
I have tried to come up with something that is not visible from outside the
car, but the firewall design is so crap that it needs a boxed in shape to do
the work and also anchored in two planes.
Therefore there will be some fasteners visible at the top panel just under
the trailing edge of the hood/bonnet :(
Let me know if you are interested, I'll send you a drawing and you can cut
it from cardboard and see if it fits your car.
My '65 is a x-over model to the '66 SP311 so I'm hoping that they will be
the same, just RHD V LHD.
These pics. are also posted on My Imagestation quoted in my signature.
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 Datsun Sports
1971 P510 Datsun 1600