Tube framed SRL with Supercharged KA Update

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tube framed SRL with Supercharged KA Update
From: "andy cost" <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 23:31:32 -0500
I haven't posted here in a while.  Most of my build up has been documented
on the 311's.org list.  I am building an E-Mod autocross car.  It has a rear
half tube frame with a three link suspension and 15" wide slicks.  I built a
supercharged KA24DE but blew the head gasket on the dyno.  The dyno data
wasn't reading well but was in the 270hp range.  You can check out the
photos on my webshots album.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2598648310065431685geGPUE

I put together the motor this weekend. I did have one small hitch. I bought
a set of new head bolts from headbolts.com. They were TopLine brand. One of
them failed while I was torqueing it down. I went to 20 then 59. Next I went
from 25 to 62. On the last 62 I had one that never got tight. I just kept
spinning it. I finally backed it out to find that the bolt was twisting just
above the block. It never did snap luckily and the whole thing backed out
without needing surgery. We'll see how they perform. I may be doing another
head gasket replacement before long.

I put the 248/248 cams back in and retarded them both. I retarded the intake
2-1/2 degrees and the exhaust 5 degrees. This should give me a little less
overlap.I moved the methanol jet from inside the supercharger to the other
side of the throttle body. This should keep the methanol injection system
from running under vacuum and allow me to not have a check valve in the
system.

I made a new tensioner bracket that puts the supercharger tensioner on the
slack side of the belt. I was never happy with the tensioner on the tight
side but the alternator was in the way. I moved the alternator to the other
side under the distributor.

Next I'm going to swap oil pans with the spare motor because it has fewer
dents. I also need to make new motor mounts on the car. I moved the motor
and tranny back 4 inches. I made a new drive shaft this weekend as well as
installing the body back on the frame. I also cut out the exhaust holes in
the frame and installed squished 4" pipe through the area.  I filled in
around the pipe with sheet metal.  I will be running larger diameter exhaust
than would fit in the original holes.  I guess I got a lot done in one week.
I still have many more hours before it will be back on the road but it is
starting to come together.
Andy Cost
68 SRL Supercharged KA24DE "Bucephalus"