RE: Happy Friday in Roadster Land

To: "Datsun List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Happy Friday in Roadster Land
From: "andy cost" <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:56:19 -0500
I played Hooky from work to work on Bucephalus.  I actually spent most of
the day cleaning out the garage so that I could get to the car to work on
it.  I took the body off and took the frame down to the car wash to blast
the crud off.  I bought some spray paint and some steel to make new motor
mounts.  I also bought four quarts of Royal Purple gear oil.  I then prepped
the new tranny by draining it and replacing all the sensors with plugs.  I
put 2-1/2 quarts of Royal Purple in the new tranny, put the U20 clutch fork
in (the one with a hole in it for the pusher rod), and installed the slave
cylinder.  I then removed the dented oil pan from the race KA and cleaned up
a good pan from the spare KA.  Tomorrow I plan on getting all the frame bits
painted, weld in a driveshaft safety loop, box in the frame where the roll
cage will bolt on, and put the body back on.  I will probably get the new
oil pan on tonight.  My hopes are to have the motor and tranny in the car
this weekend.  Since I moved the motor back 4 inches I don't know if the
tranny will fit in the tunnel.  I may have to cut and section the tranny
tunnel.  The bell housing has an explosion proof blanket which makes things
an even tighter fit.  There is an autocross on Sunday that might get rained
out.  I've been co-driving in a 5.0 Mustang GT this year.  It is interesting
having tons of power but not being able to use it.  The slightest touch on
the gas fries the tires.  It tends to lock up the front brakes too.

For Father's Day my wife took the kid out of town for two days.  I have
wonderful interruption free car working time.  What a great gift.

Wish me luck,

Andy