Starter/Ignition/Harness Gremlin

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter/Ignition/Harness Gremlin
From: RWM <RWM@RWMann.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 18:16:36 -0400
After a long layoff, I had to run the starter to pump the filters and
Solexes full of fuel.

Started OK, warmed it, and shut it down.

30 minutes later, on attempting to re-start the car, the starter motor
would not disengage.

I had to isolate the battery before it would stop -- even with the key
out of the ignition.

Now, with the key out of the ignition, when I re-energize the battery
cut-off, the starter motors, but the solenoid does not engage the flywheel.

Anyone experience this before?  I'm guessing I've shorted something in
the ignition and/or starter harness.

What's the best way to start the diagnostic process?

Thanks.

- Bob Mann

'68 2000 Solex OTS