Re: Charging System

To: Tom Ross <rossto@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Charging System
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 08:30:17 -0500
Tom,

An easy way to test your ammeter is to start the car and as it starts
look at the ammeter. If the alternator is charging the needle should
swing to the + side some. Next, with the engine off, turn on the
headlights and the ammeter should swing to the - side. Either way, the
ammeter is passing current, but the needle may not be operational.

Based on the above tests you should be a bit closer to determining if
your problem is the charging system or the battery. As someone else
pointed out a voltage check will determine more. If you don't have one,
drop  by most auto parts houses and they can check both the alternator
and battery in the car for free.

Good luck,

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Tom Ross:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001