Charging System

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Charging System
From: Tom Ross <rossto@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 05:06:48 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

I am having some electrical problems with my 1970 2000
Roadster. Yesterday while driving to work, I noticed
that when I turned on the headlights, both the
radio(not original) and the turn signals stopped
working. When I turned off the headlights they came
back. After work, when I went to start it up, it just
barely turned over. Once started the engine runs fine.

My suspicion is that the charge on the battery was
low, causing the headlights to pull enough current
that the radio would not work and the relay for the
turn signals would not trip.

Do I just have a battery that needs to be replaced (4
years old, very light use, has been completely
discharged several times)?

My ammeter appears to be dead. There is no movement
from center. How can I test it?

I am assuming the alternator is ok, since the engine
is getting plenty of juice for ignition.

Other advice?

Thanks

Tom Ross
West Chester, PA 1970 2000 Roadster