Re: [Roadsters] smog plugs

To: peter harrison <granvillecomputing@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] smog plugs
From: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 17:55:22 -0800 (PST)
> ebay item 120210367479 - tapered smog plugs
> anybody have any comments as to worthwhileness?

The U20 is prone to a birdlike 'chirp' on decel if the
smog tubes are pulled and the holes aren't properly filled.
These plugs look similar to a style I used in one of my
engines. I'm happy to see that they have the metric thread.
I like the hex head, too.

One note is that they are steel and the head is aluminum.
Use antiseize if you ever want to take them out. Even then,
after a few years they may not come back out.

Tom Walter, long long ago, machined custom plugs out of
high grade aluminum. Alas, he no longer has time to do that.
(extra credit for those that remember Tom and his
relevance to this list!)

-- John
     John F Sandhoff sandhoff@csus.edu  Sacramento, CA