Re: [Roadsters] 2000 Solex Carb expert, rebuilder? (other idea)

To: "'Eric'" <egustavson@bigpond.com>, "'Datsun-Roadsters Mail List'"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 2000 Solex Carb expert, rebuilder? (other idea)
From: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:01:07 -0500
Hi Eric and List,
This comes under the heading of "other idea" I guess.
Is there a similar issue with "new" style Solexes? I have had somewhat of a
problem with Loreli. I don't get proof of running rich on any one cylinder
via spark plug inspections, but I have a "popping/sucking" type noise coming
out of the front carb (front of carb I think, #1 cyl.). It sounds a little
like a suction cup popping loose. It's not loud, but I'm sure it's not good.
It's too damn cold to go out and check valve adjustment. It's been like this
for 2 years, so I don't have any problem waiting till it is warmer to fix
it, but I'd like to have SOME idea where to start (if valve adjustment
doesn't work). Am I looking at head work? Carb rebuild? If I'm getting "blow
back" from the valves being out of adjustment, will a "flow meter" jump
wildly?
At idle, I can hear it maybe or 2, or 3 times per second at most (not 5.8+
as I would expect if it's only on compression stroke @ 700 RPM). I'm no math
genius, but I figured 4 stroke engine = 350 compression strokes per minute
at 700 rpm / 60 seconds = 5.83333 compression strokes per second.

Have any ideas folks? I think I asked a question similar to this previously,
but now I had a little more info to add. It's hard to ask the right question
the first time, I've found. :-) Right answers to the wrong question are
ALWAYS a learning experience tho!!!!! Gas tank half full, not half empty!
Thanks