[Roadsters] Door Skin Replacement

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Door Skin Replacement
From: "steb" <stebharvey@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 04:24:51 -0600
Group,

The last items needing bodywork on my 70 restoration project are the
doors. I stripped the paint (aircraft stripper) down to the metal on
both doors and found that the passenger door is in excellent condition.
The driver's door is another matter. It looks like a drunk took a
bowling ball and slammed it into the door many times. The skin is so
dented I don't believe that it can be pulled out. I have several extra
doors with perfect skin but the bottoms of the doors are rusted to the
point of not being usable without a lot of metal replacement. My
question is, has anyone cut out bad metal from the skin and welded in
new metal from another door with a backer plate behind the door skin and
replacement panel? Since the metal is under stress from the stamping
process I'm wondering if it will spring out and not conform to the curve
of the door as I weld it onto to door.

Thanks
Steve Harvey
Milwaukee (cold!)