[Roadsters] Doorskins

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net (roadster list)
Subject: [Roadsters] Doorskins
From: racery@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:25:50 +0000
Yes, you can swap the skin-
it's very common practice in modern
body shops.  I've done a 'partial' before,
too, and it wasn't too bad.  Harder, but easier than
finding a door and fixing it's problems.  And if you leave part of the old skin
on and flange the joit between the 2, the door stays
more stable. Even so, the big thing to watch for is warping the door
frame- the skin defines 'square', and if you don't
pay close attention, you can turn the door into a taco.
The safest way to do it is to get it fit, but not attached,
then put the door back on the car and tack it into place
while the door is aligned correctly to the car.

Good luck,
Toby

----

Group,

The last items needing bodywork on my 70 restoration project are the
doors. <snip>
dented I don't believe that it can be pulled out. I have several extra
doors with perfect skin but the bottoms of the doors are rusted to the
point of not being usable without a lot of metal replacement. My
question is, has anyone cut out bad metal from the skin and welded in
new metal from another door with a backer plate behind the door skin and
replacement panel? Since the metal is under stress from the stamping
process I'm wondering if it will spring out and not conform to the curve
of the door as I weld it onto to door.

Thanks
Steve Harvey
Milwaukee (cold!)