[Roadsters] bumper plating cost

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] bumper plating cost
From: Thomas King <tlkjr@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 19:18:30 -0600
Most are aware of the rising cost of plating these days. I'm
currently looking for someone to straighten and replate both the
front and rear bumper for my 68 2000. So far I gotten 3 estimates:
Bumper Boyz  out of Socal $290 per bumper,  $65 per guard, Tric City
out of TN $300 per bumper and $60 per guard, and Graves out of my
hometown of Florence AL $650 for plating only each bumper, or $750!
if they straighten and rechrome!, $175 per guard! If you've talk to
any of the shops they tell you that the EPA regulations and the toxic
nature of the process has really increased the operational cost. My
understanding is that Bumper Boyz sends their metal to mexico for
their plating. Any feedback on this subject would be appreciated
though if you haven't had this performed in the last year or so the
cost my be way off. I gues the moral of this story is to take care of
that chrome because replating in the future my painfully costly.
Thomas King
68 2000
other datsun pieces and "junk"