Re: [Roadsters] Since the list is so quiet

To: Tim <tputland@charter.net>, "datsun-roadsters: autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Since the list is so quiet
From: "Gregory S. Morrison" <gsm@gregorysmorrison.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:43:43 -0800
Hey Tim- It is kind of quiet, isn't it?

Here's every alternative I've tried except for robbing a convenience store
and just keeping the car.

Initially it was either the newspaper want ads or the weekly "Wheel Deals"
publication. Better hope someone locally was looking for what you had to
sell. Sent off a couple of Roadsters that way.

Then, as my cars got a bit more specialized, I used to sell them in Hemmings
- now completely Old School.

Then I sold even more specialized cars in the various "Market Letters" that
those marques supported.

Then it was Classifieds 2000 that was bought up by Yahoo and then folded.

Now it's all about ebay. Worldwide exposure, fairly accurate market price -
at least for that week - all at the click of a button. I've now sold 5 or 6
cars on ebay, all with great or near-great results, and very quickly. Yes,
it costs, but it's the way the game is played nowadays - unless your selling
a muscle car at auction.

Then Craigslist became prominent, but only on a local level - they work very
hard to keep it local to the area where the ad is placed.

There is always the auction route. Yuk! Except for my '66 1600 that almost
hit $20,000 at auction, I honestly don't understand why US car auction
bidders seem to have ZERO interest in Datsun Roadsters. I swear you could
run a mint '67 2000 across any block in America and be lucky to break
$5,000. Hopefully that will change. (Frankly, as soon as the "investors" hit
a particular marque it screws things up pretty bad for the real
collectors/enthusiasts.)

The one thing that never seems to change though is that the business model
is always changing.

Best wishes,
Greg
SRL31100494