Re: [Roadsters] 2 pcs Empi ?s

To: "'datsun-roadsters'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 2 pcs Empi ?s
From: "Todd Osborn" <todd.osborn@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 17:58:30 -0700
I don't recommend using a hammer; I broke an EMPI rim that way. Fortunately
it was on the inside and I was able to have it Heli-Arc welded.
To separate the halves, set the rim and tire on an old carpet to protect the
spokes. Let all the air out and remove the Schrader valve, pry the tire free
from the edge of the rim using two large screwdrivers or tire irons. The
inside of the rim does not have a locking bead, but is slightly tapered from
the center to the edge so there will be some resistance for the first inch
or so; just keep working around the rim to move the tire bead down. Once the
tire is worked free then remove the eight nuts holding the halves together.
If the rim halves are stuck together you can wedge a putty knife between the
halves, but only insert about 1/8" or you may damage the sealing surface. It
is safest to pry where the studs are, since the seal surface is on the other
side of the stud. You may need to pry with screwdrivers but again only
insert a little to prevent damage. If you try using o-rings (I didn't have
much luck and went with inner tubes), you need to get the flat surface on
the inboard half of the rim smooth and pit free. Likewise the bottom of the
groove in the outboard half needs to be smooth and pit free. I recall Parker
seal call for an 8 microinch finish, nearly mirror polish. The sides of the
groove are less critical, but need to be clean. The o-ring should have about
a 20% squeeze and should be lubricated with compatible grease. I don't know
the spec torque for the nuts, but I use blue Loctite and torque to 35
ft-lbs.
Todd Osborn
DATSFUN - 68 2000
San Jose, Ca

PS - Joe are you and Kate going to Solvang? EveAnn and I are leaving Friday
around 1:30pm.

Joe Kinstle wrote:

No big machine needed.  It's been awhile, but this is what I remember.  Let
all the air out, unbolt the 2 halves, and push the sidewall in.  The tire is
a bit of a friction fit to the wheel halves, and I may have taken a 2x4 and
3 lb hammer to push the tire lip off the rim half, but I don't remember it
being that hard to do.