Re: [Roadsters] painting thoughts

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] painting thoughts
From: "Eric Gillis" <egillis@ceres.k12.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:14:04 -0700
I don't know about MAACO (other than Pete Rose used to be a spokesperson) but
I have used Earl Schieb (same diff, ain't it?) and had wonderful results with
my own prep work.  I didn't tape off, instead had them do that, and they were
even able to mask the celica outlined lettering on the rear deck of the car I
had painted.  The result was great given it only cost $400 (2003 prices) and
that included jambs and underhood.

I am not sure how a company would be able to tell if you did your own prep
work...  If you worked on the body of the car and brought it to them not
saying anything (lie of omission, I acknowledge)  how is the painting company
supposed to know who or when the car was 'prepped?"  Perhaps the car was
purchased that way and the new owner just wanted to finish the job and did
nothing of the prep work themselves.  Most of the painters in these operations
are very good, but are limited by time and the company's bottom line, so the
limiting factor is prep work, many companies welcome this, however I do
understand when some groups won't warantee work not performed by the company.

Suggestion:  Bring in at least 2 $20 bills, one for the painter, and one for
the prep person.  Maybe a Starbucks or a box of doughnuts when you drop the
car off.  Tips to personnel and schwag do count for something these days when
most are trying to save a buck at any costs, pun intended.  It never hurts to
grease the palms a bit for a job well done.

You will be happy with a fresh paint job, even if it 'goes away' in 5 years or
so...  Think of what it may look like without the paintjob in 5 years...

Solvang awaits!

Eric G