[Roadsters] Roll bar

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net (roadster list)
Subject: [Roadsters] Roll bar
From: racery@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 13:10:17 +0000
> If you don't have a
>5-point harness system all of the above is a mute point. Ask Dale E. He had
>the best equipment available and he's still dead.

Did he?  Don't remember him wearing any type of HANS, and he was notorious for
not
tightening his harness....  He also went from 150 to 0 mph in 3 feet...  The
press
loves to show a F1 car careening down the track, losing pieces as it goes, but
the
real danger is the sudden stop, not the slow, messy one.

I'd almost go so far as to say that any bar is better than no bar, whether it's
got
clearace or not, except that you REALLY want to make sure that your melon
can't contact the bar, no matter what.  In a race car, you have a helmet, so
it's not
as big a deal, but a frontal impact is a LOT more likely than a rollover in a
street
car, so you just DO NOT want to hit your head on that bar...

That's my take, anyhow...

Toby