Re: [Roadsters] Stereo/CD/I-POD Question

To: "'Steve Harvey'" <stebharvey@ameritech.net>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Stereo/CD/I-POD Question
From: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 15:03:26 -0400
Steve,
Sony has come out with the Xplod GTX- GT620 which incorporates iPod control.
It also has a one CD capability. I have recently purchased a GTX-GT520
(because I like the blue lights!) It has RCA pre-amp outs and RCA component
in. I have this attached to my Harmon Kardon Drive & Play. (iPod
attachment). The HK provides it's own screen, which I have mounted on a
spring loaded hinge under the dash, so I can flip it up and make it
invisible to anyone walking by my open car. Another Lister has mounted the
screen where the clock goes (late model) and it is a VERY cool looking
install. My iPod and the HK control unit are mounted up under the dash on
the firewall behind the glove box. My stereo is mounted up under the dash as
well, but you have to lean over into the passenger seat to see it because
it's up and back (again, so folk's can't see it). I'm using a Sony RM-X11M
wired marine stereo controller. Once the pre-sets on the stereo are set, I
don't have to see the face of the stereo to choose what I want to hear. I
use a wired controller because Infrared won't work the way I have my setup
(you need line of sight to the head unit from the controller). With the
controller, I can choose my iPod or my FM (all I use). I can control the
stereo with the Sony controller, and I can control the iPod with the HK
controller. They are both mounted in the "well" in the trans tunnel where
the cig lighter and ashtray go. I don't have a center console between the
seats. These are both covered by a vinyl covered metal box I made that's
about 1" x 4" x 7" and mounted on another spring loaded hinge. When parked,
even with the top down, you'd never know I had 450 watts of stereo and an
iPod in my car.
Matt Smith (had way too much time on my hands last winter!)