Re: [Roadsters] Datsun-roadsters Digest, Vol 2, Issue 357

To: fj20spl311@yahoo.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Datsun-roadsters Digest, Vol 2, Issue 357
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:10:30 EDT
I've had several rear diffs apart. The pin that the differential gears run
on has no bearings. It is a steel pin going through the steel gears. During
straight driving this is not a problem as these only turn when you are turning.

When the tire size is mismatched these gears turn all the time. They simply
were  not designed for this kind of service. Will it toast them in a couple
miles?  Most likely not. 50 to 100 miles? Don't know. I think the answer is
that
the  diff wasn't designed for this type of service and it is best to avoid it
if  possible.

The front on the other hand has totally independent bearings and can run
forever with different size tires.

Check on the availability of diff bits and make your own choice.

keith

In a message dated 8/15/2008 10:07:19 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,