Re: [Roadsters] the dreaded "extra part"

To: Bill Oakes <boakes@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] the dreaded "extra part"
From: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 11:07:18 -0700 (PDT)
> I put the heater box back together, or I thought, with the re-built
> heater core and then on the bench I still saw this:
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/boakes/RoadsterMysteryPart

The box itself is together.
If I'm correct, that rectangle of metal clamps the air duct
to the box. There's a largish Y-shaped rubbery part, some
remnants of which seem to be in your picture, that ducts the
air flow from the box to the defroster ducts in the dash.
When you operate the defroster control, there's a flap that
opens a hole in the box to allow air to flow into this
duct and to the windshield.

The flange on the rubber Y is the 'middle' of the sandwich
of heaterbox-duct-metalplateyouhaveleftover. Four screws
(IIRC) clamp it all together.

I'm sure there's a diagram in the parts catalog.

-- John
     John F Sandhoff sandhoff@csus.edu  Sacramento, CA