Re: [Roadsters] correction: "my SU's"

To: "Nathaniel Leeds" <nmleeds@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] correction: "my SU's"
From: "Tom @ Datsun2000" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:32:47 -0700
Breaking a throttle return spring is why I always carry (And Calspeed
included in his things to carry list) a spare throttle spring or two in the
glove box.  I broke the rear spring on my first 2L in 1968 at around 80 MPH
while the hand throttle was set.  When I released the throttle nothing
slowed down.  Being dark it was a little difficult to figure out, but if you
break a spring without a spare you can put the remaining spring on the rear
SU and it will control both carburetors.  The front spring only controls the
front carb.  This is has been my experience for U20 engines.  I am not sure
what happens on R16 engines.

The next day I went into the Everett, WA Datsun dealer and purchased two
sets of springs.  One to put on the car, and the other to put in the glove
box, where I think you will find at least one spring today.

If you break the front spring you might not notice the problem.... Until you
break the rear spring.  It is not a bad idea to look at your springs when
you are changing the oil, or have the hood open for almost any reason.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland
http://www.datsun2000.com