Re: [Roadsters] 1,200 miles, 5,000 feet;

To: Keith0alan@aol.com, nmleeds@mindspring.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 1,200 miles, 5,000 feet;
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:42:23 EDT
In a message dated 8/18/2008 9:33:56 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
Keith0alan@aol.com writes:

Now  I'm finally at sea level. I'm giddy with the promise of  more  power.
Unfortunately the first low altitude runs have been noisy  messy  affairs: the
car smells like a refinery and backfires like  Chinese new year  until the
engine gets well above normal operating  temperature. Some of  these problems
might be other maintenance that  I'll need to do after the  long, heavy
driving, but I'll get to that  once I get the setting  right.

I had a decent scheme for the  timing and carbs at 5000 feet, but  I thought
I'd ask the list where  people set their sea-level SU's, timing,  and what
octane everyone  likes.

Start with double checking your timing and valve lash.  Take a look at your
plugs. Are they carboned up or really white?  Good indication of rich or
lean.
Check my SU setup site.
_Click here: Setting  up and adjusting SU/Hitachi carbs on the Datsun
Roadster_ (http://www.311s.org/tech/engine/keithsus.html)

Let us know how it goes.

keith

or this link