Re: [Roadsters] Newest problem SAE / Metric

To: Walter Peterson <Walter.Peterson@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Newest problem SAE / Metric
From: Eddie <eddietude@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 09:34:17 -0800
The bolts that were used were clearly SAE.  The holes are clearly
metric.  The bolts screw in, but don't tighten properly, and they feel a
little loose until "snugged".

There were no "stock bolts" on the thing.

I'm leaving the timing cover bolts alone, but the others I've already
run a tap through.  It went in easily, and only a little crud came out.
Seems the block was harder than the bolts that were used, and the bolts
took much of the wear.

I'll use lock-tite on all the bolts, and I figure that should be fine.

The only other option, which I would have considered prior to putting
the engine back in, is to helicoil the holes, but now that would be a
major PITA...

Eddie