Re: [Roadsters] Coil/Ballist resistor

To: <pscowboy9@yahoo.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Coil/Ballist resistor
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 23:05:06 -0600
Steve,

I've never checked mine in the dark, but I have an original (i.e., came with
the car when it was new) ballast resistor in my '66 1600/U20.  The resistor
wire is exposed in the ceramic mounting, so I am guessing it's not supposed
to glow.

As I understand the function of the ballast resistor, it offers little
resistance when cold, gradually increasing resistance as current flows
through it after the engine is started.  This crude, but generally effective
approach, allows full battery voltage to the coil for a stronger spark when
starting, but drops the voltage after the engine is started to avoid
long-term coil damage.

Assuming that other aspects of the ignition system are in order (points good
and correctly gapped, condenser good), the ballast resistor could be
defective.  I would make a jumper wire to connect the battery to the
positive coil terminal, taking the resistor circuit out of play.  If the
engine cranks and starts , you know the resistor is bad -- probably
producing too much voltage drop to generate a spark, and overheating in the
process.  ALthough the coil can take battery voltage for a time, shut her
down after it starts, and disconnect the jumper.

Although it will not go to the list, I have attached a color wiring diagram
for the early 1600s.  Let me know if it does not make it through the
response process.