Re: [Roadsters] Datsun-roadsters Digest, Vol 3, Issue 122

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Datsun-roadsters Digest, Vol 3, Issue 122
From: Toby B <RacerY@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 20:07:53 -0700
" I highly recommend against buying bolts from Home Depot
and most local hardware stores.  There is a tremendous amount of counterfeit
gr.8 fasteners in the market place."

Amen.  And that's increasingly true of metric fasteners, too.

The worst part, anymore, is that 'Made in China' bolts can be perfectly fine-
or they can be dimensionally wrong, metallurgically flawed, and dangerous.
And there's no easy way to tell.  We tested some stuff to destruction
recently, and some of the uglier parts from questionable sources
tested the best.
And some nice- looking pieces from reputable vendors were marginal at best.

Frankly, unless there's something wrong with the fasteners that were holding
your car together, I'd re- use them.  They're not going to fail of old age...

Toby
Seattle.