Re: [Roadsters] H20 Redux

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] H20 Redux
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 00:02:55 -0500
Good deal. Not trusting 40 year old OEM gauges is why I installed BIG
(2 7/8?) AutoMeter Water Temp and Oil Pressure gauges. Both are 270
degree sweep  so you can see the general area the readings are in at a
glance. My car runs right at 180 on even the hottest Texas summer days
with hot oil pressure at 60 and around 15 psi at idle.

FWIW,
Ron

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 9:51 PM, steven boortz
<vociferouschicanery@yahoo.com> wrote:
> hi everyone
> this is the part where i tell you what an idiot i was, again. B hindsight
being what it is, this is what i learned about my "overheating" fiasco.
> the bottom line is that it was not overheating at all. B in fact, it wasn't
even getting hot. B i should have thought that the fact it (the guage) made it
made it to 240 so quickly was fishy. B too, i should have understood the
significance of the nearly simultaneous "peaking" of the gas guage. B the
thing is, the gas guage moved so quickly to that position. B the temp guage
took almost a minute. B but it is that they were both doing it, that should
have alerted me.
> i bought an infra red temp sensor, and started the engine. B the temp guage
rose to 240 in about a minute, and the front of the head, next to where the
temp sensor mounts was reading 115. B that was the first time i actually let
the temp guage keep going without turning off the engine. B that's when i
noticed they were both pegged.
> it seems that when the gas and temp guages aren't functioning properly,
either they both go all the way "off" (the exteme left) or all the way "on"
(the extreme right). B that they were the same was the clue i missed. B i
thought my car was about to overheat.
> i removed that little electrical thingie, cleaned all the contacts,
including where it mounts, and re-installed. B voila. B guages that work.
> i drove the car for the first time today, in about 6 months. B i blasted up
the 110, and back down. B woohoo!

--
Ron