Re: [Roadsters] long rod (r16) stroker

To: "'jeremy mayne'" <jeremymayne@msn.com>, <drlsmith@dccnet.com>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] long rod (r16) stroker
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 08:50:08 -0700
A lot of work has been done in various forms of racing around tighter ring
packs, thinner compression rings, higher positioning of the rings, etc. in
an attempt to create the lightest piston and longest rod possible. I've even
seen pistons where the oil ring overlaps the piston pin opening. But keep in
mind that these are all racing motors that are probably torn down after a
few hundred miles of running.

The extremes of racing can be fascinating but also surprising in their cost.
I remember reading that Top Fuel drag racers throw all their valve springs
away after about 8 passes, and these are titanium springs that cost $10,000
a set! And of course they replace the rod and main bearings after every
pass. I think it was Kenny Bernstein who said in an interview that they read
bearing crush the way most people read spark plugs.

Gordon Glasgow