Re: [Roadsters] long rod (r16) stroker

To: Datsun Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>, Gordon
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] long rod (r16) stroker
From: Daryl Smith <drlsmith@dccnet.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 20:40:33 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Eddie" <eddietude@socal.rr.com>

>I thought the longer rod also pushed the piston farther "up" the cylinder
>wall, thus compressing the gas MORE... and that's where the power gain came
>from...
>
> Isn't that also the case?
>
> Eddie

Actually, No, it only goes down further......  ;-)

By changing the geometry (rod length and piston pin height), the piston can
stop higher, lower, or at exactly the same height in a stroker motor as a
stock motor, while overall travelling the extra distance of the stroker
crank. This can be used to increase/decrease compression ratios and
squish/quench clearance (distance between top of the piston and the head). I
would try to bring the piston to block level or slightly higher to maximize
the squish/quench, as long as it doesn't push the compression ratio too
high.

Daryl