Re: [Roadsters] 6700 RPM's 5th Gear and ooh noo

To: nmleeds@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 6700 RPM's 5th Gear and ooh noo
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:40:16 -0700
> ...I thought I'd ask if anyone had any suggestions for what to do
> control oil pressure under heavy load.

Please don't take this wrong, but you're not looking at the problem
from the right angle. Nissan didn't build an engine that couldn't
redline if everything was in good order.

This is no "over-pressure" problem. Rather, there's a "these parts are
too worn" problem. Something blew not because pressure was too
high but because something was too worn. And I suspect your rubber
oil pressure gauge hose is what let go. That, or the oil filter :-)
Rule of thumb for expected pressure: 10 PSI per 1000 RPM.

CAVEAT: The oil pump has an internal pressure regulator that MAY
have stuck. I really doubt it, but it's a possibility. BTW, that's the
answer to your initial question (how to control pressure): there's
already a pressure regulator in there.

-- John