[Roadsters] SU Carburetor Tools

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] SU Carburetor Tools
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 22:48:38 -0500
Years ago, I bought a set of SU carburetor synchronizing and adjustment tools.
It is the sort of thing one doesn't often need, but, when needed, there is no
substitute.  In particular, there is a jet centering tool.  It is used to
center the nozzles in their sleeves, so the needles will drop without
contacting the nozzles.  In addition, I think the mechanical-type balancing
tools will prove more useful for balancing 1600 carbs at higher speeds (~2000
rpm) than a UniSyn, because they provide a continuous indication.  To me, 1600
carbs are a real PITA to balance above idle because of the twin turnbuckles
which are involved, in contrast to the 2000 SUs which feature a high-speed
balancing screw.

Out of curiosity, I went looking to see if such a set is still available, and
found that it is, at www.mossmotors.com.  Part Number 386-300, $24.95.  They
also often the UniSyn flow meter-type synchronizing tool, Part Number 386-200,
for $31.95.  I consider the UniSyn to be indispensable.

FWIW.

Gary