Re: [Roadsters] Datsun-roadsters Digest, Vol 3, Issue 225

To: "'dave'" <daveandlindab@comcast.net>, "'Toby B'"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Datsun-roadsters Digest, Vol 3, Issue 225
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 19:25:10 -0700
Yeah, those numbers are from the 1600/2000 Service Manual.

The whole issue of cam timing and idle is way more complex than we would
want to get into here, but in brief, it's a matter of valve overlap between
intake and exhaust, which is affected not only by overall duration and cam
profile by also by the lobe separation angle.

Absolutely the best, most thorough and most readable explanation I've ever
found of all this is the chapter on camshafts in the old "How To Modify
Datsun Engines & Chassis" book by Fisher and Waar. The camshaft chapter was
written by Racer Brown and is 44 pages long. Unfortunately this book has
been out of print for years. Last time I looked on the Web, I found one copy
at a bookstore in SF and they wanted $169 for it!

Gordon Glasgow