Re: [Roadsters] 66 1600 roadster

To: "dave" <daveandlindab@comcast.net>, "'Paul'" <9laser3@bright.net>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 66 1600 roadster
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 20:16:23 -0500
Dave,

I had to think about that one for a bit...

My first roadster is/was a '66 1600, SPL311-05917, which I bought from the
original owner in July of 1971 when it had less than 35K miles on it.  It
was a Southern California car, so it had no rust, but the paint was
oxidized, the top worn and it had a big dent in the passenger's side door.
But, it was complete and generally in good condition.

I developed a craving for more power, however, and began considering a U20
transplant early on.  The Datsun dealer couldn't tell me whether my 4-speed
transmission would bolt-up to the 2000 engine, or whether the 2000 would
even fit properly.  I didn't know at the time that the blocks are the same.
I saw the differences between the radiators, and I know the U20 exhaust was
different.  During one of my visits to the dealer, I noticed a brand new, in
the crate U20 and 5-speed just received from Japan for a customer who also
wanted to convert his 1600.

So, I bought a '69 U20 from a wrecked 2000 in Escondido, California, along
with the radiator.  That same U20, complete with a fresh rebuild, is waiting
to be reinstalled in that car.  I have always liked the '66.  Except for the
engine, a wood-rim steering wheel, Lucas mirrors, late-model shift boot with
walnut knob, and Panasport wheels, the car is original.

Gary