Re: [Roadsters] clutch question

To: Tim <tputland@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] clutch question
From: Eddie <eddietude@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:31:34 -0800
The way to check to see if a clutch is slipping is pretty simple.

Stomp the gas pedal.

If the clutch is slipping, or about to go, the RPM's will rise suddenly,
but the car won't actually move much.

If the clutch is ok, the car will accelerate normally.

I personally wouldn't drive a car with a slipping clutch unless I
absolutely have to.  You can do excessive wear to other parts.  Plus,
sometimes a slipping clutch will last awhile, other times, shortly after
they start to slip, they go completely and can leave you stranded.

If it's slipping and you HAVE to drive it, you want to accelerate very
slowly, to minimize the slip.  But I'd only drive like that in an
emergency, like the clutch started slipping while I was out and I needed
to get back home.

Hard acceleration = more slippage = more wear = even more slippage...

Hope that helps.

Eddie