[Roadsters] R16 head thickness

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] R16 head thickness
From: "Pete Peters" <ppeters914@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 17:55:19 -0700
Scott Sheeler's "The Datsun Roadster Book" (2nd Edition), Part I, p. 51 says
the uncut R16 head thickness is 3.248 inches. Doesn't list a minimum
thickness, but mentions cutting over 0.060 inches will raise the compression
ratio high enough making it near impossible to not ping, even with premium
fuel. Using 0.060, a practical minimum head thickness would appear to be
2.648 inches.

The 311s.org TechWiki FAQ states -MINIMUM- R16 head thickness is 3.246.

My guess is Scott's book is correct, but would like to confirm. I searched
the archives, but everyone just quotes Scott's book. No one mentions
actually measuring a stock head.

I'm measuring 3.216 (which means already shaved approx 0.032) on my R16
aluminum head (starting stroker build), and would like to verify correct
specs. Don't want to waste time on this head if I should be looking for a
better one.

Thanks.

Pete
Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net