Re: [Roadsters] welding main shaft nut on 5spd

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] welding main shaft nut on 5spd
From: "Brian Hollands" <bhollan4@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 21:15:41 -0400
Dick's solution is interesting - I never used two lock tabs.
The way I've done it is to tighten the first nut up to the gear at 25lb-ft
(iirc) then snug the lock nut against it.  At that point, back the first nut
backwards against the lock nut to the tune of 225lb-ft.
In reality, there's no way in hell I could figure out exactly how much
torque I'd used.  Being quite careful, I simply stood on the end of the
wrench.  I weighed about 190 then and the wrench was about 14 inches long.
It's been fine since 1992.