Re: [Roadsters] Charging Question

To: "bubwin@mymts.net" <bubwin@mymts.net>, Datsun-Roadsters
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Charging Question
From: "Hall, Phillip B. (MSFC-ED10)" <phillip.b.hall@nasa.gov>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 06:57:32 -0500
You bring up a good point Bob.

I had in my mind that 67.5 and up Roadsters had two wires to the coil.  One
is full voltage from the ignition switch in the 'start' position only and
the other is routed through the ballast resistor in the 'run' position.

I have not traced my wiring to confirm this, and the wiring schematics for
the 67.5 don't show it.  My coil does indeed have two wires going to the (+)
on the coil.  If these wire were switched, it would not stay running in the
'run' position.

Things keep pointing to a wrong ballast resistor......

On 3/15/11 3:52 AM, "bubwin@mymts.net" <bubwin@mymts.net> wrote:

> Are you running points?  Also check and make sure the feed to the coil when
> in run mode, comes from the Ballast resistor.  The ballast resistor should
> be cutting that voltage down at the coil, once started.  Acceptable
charging
> is usually considered around 14.2 v, give or take. (anything between
> 13.5-14.5 is good) Although a bit high, I don't think it's the cause of the
> problem.
>
> Bob

Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html