Re: [Roadsters] Distributor timing

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Distributor timing
From: Graeme Suckling <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 09:43:54 +0930
On 9/05/2011 6:42 AM, Larry Braddock wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been playing with my ignition timing on my 66 roadster.
>
> There appear to be 2 ways to adjust it. There is a small bolt under the
> distributor plate that when loosened allows the distributor to be turned, and
> there is a screw on top of the distributor plate that when loosened also
> allows the distributor to be turned.
>
> It seems redundant that there would be 2 places to adjust the timing, so I'm
> wondering if there's something I don't know about this.
>
> There is no mention of these in my manual.
>
> Larry B
There is a very good reason why there are two adjustments.
Since I can't remember it I'll give this explanation instead;-)
Assuming the dist. drive is set up correctly with the jack/cam shaft gear: -
Set the top adjustment on "0" or midway between the A and R stampings.
Now set the bottom adjustment so the points are just opening at exactly
TDC for #1 on the firing stroke.
Now you can use the graduations on the top adjuster to vary the timing +
or -10deg relative to TDC.
Similarly, if you use the bottom adjuster to lock the dist. at say 10deg
BTDC then the graduations on the top plate will vary the timing Advance
10deg to Retard 10deg,
relative to the initial 10deg BTDC.
In summary, once you know where the bottom adjuster has locked the
timing, you can use the graduated plate to vary the timing from the
initial setting without using a timing light.
Have a play with it and check the adjustments with a timing light to
gain some confidence in how accurate the graduated settings are8-)

--
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 Datsun Sports