Re: [Roadsters] rear brake drums

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] rear brake drums
From: "hallosb@juno.com" <hallosb@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 20:49:56 GMT
I doubt hydraulic pressure is the problem. The drum will often rust itself to
the axle. So, you may want to spray some PB blaster around the edges of the
center hole of the drum itself and let it soak. Don't go crazy and get oil on
your brake shoes unless you already planned on replacing them. I would not pry
with screw drivers because you may damage the backing plate. Can you spin the
drum freely? If not, check the emergency brake linkage to ensure it's fully
releasing. If the drum still won't spin, try the brake adjustment slot on the
back. I've had good luck with a dead blow. Alternating taps on the front side
of the drum and the back edge. Again, be careful not to damage the backing
plate. Some have suggested heating but, I've never had to resort to it. Hope
that helps,Dan'66 1600