fot

TR Gearbox problem

To: triumph digest <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR Gearbox problem
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 08:53:24 -0600
I need advice on a TR4 gearbox used in a vintage racer.

When I removed the engine and trans for freshening after the last race,
I found that the input shaft to be VERY difficult to turn. Disassembly
revealed all parts to be just fine, BUT the layshaft assembly was
binding between the thrust washers, even preventing the assembly from
dropping down after removing the layshaft itself.

After a serious struggle to get the layshaft cluster out, I found the
needle bearings to be just fine, the layshaft to be as new, and the
thrust washers themselves appear to be intact, with the rear one showing
just a single ring of wear (nothing more than I would expect after 40
hours at competition speeds). The thing acted like the thrust washers
swelled or the case shrunk.  The thrust washers are steel backed with a
dimpled bronze face, the only bronze in the gearbox.

I was using the same synthetic lube as in the rear end (yes, I know, the
book says use engine oil) for added viscosity at high temps.

Any ideas as to what might be the cause of this?