fot

London Brighton Rally

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net, fot@autox.team.net,
Subject: London Brighton Rally
From: "Dunst, Mordecai" <mdunst@smtplink.Coh.ORG>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 97 17:41:18 pst
     1904 Rambler Fiasco.

     After leaving the Park Lane Hotel in a light drizzle we meandered
     through some side streets passing onlookers preparing to watch the
     spectacle unfold.  The car was running beautifully -a good
     sign.  The Rambler is powerful, sits high and has stopping power
     attributes that make this vehicle attractive.  Hyde Park was nearby
     only several minutes away.  The police and control personnel were
     omnipresent and despite the massive congestion and light "stop and go"
     lineup the car performed well.  I suspect the cold and rain helped
     keep the motor cool at idle.  We arrived at the appointed staging area
     and were relieved- we made it to the first check point.  Our position
     was well in the back of the grid and therefore had to wait about 1 and
     1/2  hours prior to release.  It was time well spent.  I looked over
     the car as best I could. Lubricants, water and fuel were nominal.  The
     chain was tight.  Transmission bands and brakes were tight.  This car
     was ready to run.  In fact we were convinced that not only could we
     get to Brighton but return to London and do it twice that same day!

     We met friends  while waiting for the start.  Mr. Charles Gee, a
     Triumph Spitfire vintage racer from Southern California managed
     to combine his wife's London business trip with this event.    Mr.
     Jason Len was also a casual passerby.  He races a Jaguar in Vintage
     with the Vintage Auto Racing Association.

     The whistle blew and told us to load and start parading to the
     starting line.  As the we idled to the front the crowd grew larger and
     deeper.  It seemed that there were so many people here.  The parade of
     cars to the front  was spectacular.  We passed a dozen or so cars
     already plagued with mechanical failure(s). The road in front of us
     was laden with drips and puddles of oil and water.  We were so excited
     it was difficult study the spectacle.  Everyone stops at the starting
     line.  The announcer then reads the pedigree of the car and comments
     as to the uniqueness of the vehicle.  He then gives the starter the
     nod and the car is released to run.

     The start was flawless and the ride past the throngs of people was
     a real honor.  We were beaming with joy.  The road took as past
     Buckingham palace and onto London Bridge past Big Ben.   This was
     absolutely fabulous.

     It all stopped just past the bridge.  Traffic was horrific.  Stop and
     stop some more. This car couldn't idle very well.  It had an original
     (read: well worn) carburator.  The throttle was either open or closed.
     Meanwhile the rain had stopped and the ambient temperature improved a
     bit as the faint glimmer of sun poked through.  The radiator started
     to steam and our cheerful faces drooped.  Despite all our efforts the
     traffic took its toll.  This proud and noble vehicle broke a rod and
     pieces of 1904 cast iron was spread on the road.  Our group was a sad
     site.  We were all dressed up with nowhere to go.  We only made it
     eight miles past Hyde Park.