fot

Re: Weekend report

To: Chip Bond <spirals@ESINET.NET>
Subject: Re: Weekend report
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 13:09:51 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Chip Bond wrote:

> Triumph Racing Friends,
>
> Well, after 150 miles on the engine this weekend I think I can report that
> the Triumph-Tune lifters are holding up well. Total required lash
> adjustment did not exceed 003" on the new cam and lifters except for # 2
> (intake) where the lash needed to be increased obout 010" (??). I'd love to
> hear any comments about lash clearance becoming tighter. The head has a new
> valve job so perhaps the valve was seating (or pounding out?).

First, congratulations on the "relative success"! Second, I , too, would
be interested in any comments about lash clearance becoming tighter.
Those of you at the VTR National in Albany last summer may remember my
newly "freshened" 1147 in the Hardly Boys RaceSpit 4 running between
poorly and not at all by my third run. It turned out that the valve
clearances, set and rechecked most carefully on reassembly and again
after the short "bedding in" and retorquing, had diminished rather
severely, to the point where some valves actually did not close
completely. Fortunately, it appears as if no real damage was done, but
I'd be curious to know what might have caused this.

There are some things mechanical that I don't do all that well or AT ALL,
but I can set valve clearances with a reasonable degree of success!

--Andy