fot

Inner Rear Axle Seals

To: "'Brian Girsch'" <bg13550@mail.cedarnet.org>
Subject: Inner Rear Axle Seals
From: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 13:10:19 -0500
Brian of Girsch Motor Works & Honorary Friend of Triumph,

I have used two or three kinds of seals on the rear axle. One was double
lipped seal. Once I used two single lip seals in tandem. Neither of
these worked.

I think the last time I ordered through you and you got me an "original
type" seal from either VB or Moss. This seal has a very generous radius
and a very substantial surface area wiping the seal contact area on the
axle. I remember it being a lighter color and somewhat coarser material
than the black teflon(?), viton(?) or  neoprene seals(?).

The above description is from memory and may be flawed.

Would you consult with your friends at VB & Moss and get me a pair? I am
about to pull the axles on the TR3 and I will want to replace them with
something that works.

I also have some other folks (Friends of Triumph) waiting in the wings
with wet rear brakes that will be interested in this info. And more FOTs
that WILL have wet brakes if they dont get the best seals for racing.

Thanks,

Joe