fot

Mid- Ohio

To: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@FORBIN.COM>
Subject: Mid- Ohio
From: mike jackson <grand_wazoo@flinet.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 13:57:40 -0700
Jack W Drews wrote:

> What kinds of things should I be looking at to cure hesitation coming
> out of corners with my vintage TR4? It happens at 3500 - 400 rpm, then
> it pulls fine.

Funny, I experienced the same thing at Mid-Ohio on Sunday, never really
had it before.  Our cars been calling the physic hot line or something?

Gotta be a fuel feed problem.  We're going to check pressure and float
level as well the usual concern for fuel filter clogging.

Also had substantial miss at high end in 2nd and third gears (6000) that
turned out to be bad air draw thru our air filters.  Ran Saturday and
Sunday without them, no miss and 200 rpm more at the end of the back
straight.

Mid-Ohio report from the TR3:

6th overall, still waaaaay short of Skirmants and Mark Esk.....  Also
Don Munoz is back racing in the same MGB that he ran in the late 60s and
early 70s.  Beautiful car, in the same league as your TR4.  Wonderful
guy, we paddocked with him and several others.  Took him 4 sessions to
get up to speed and then he was gone, gone, gone.  Also in the mix was
Ed Barre's clean and quick Morgan and an indecently quick Turner plus
one of my favorite racing friends, Bob Moser in the Daimler SP250 hes
been racing for 20+ years.  Great guy, wonderful driver.  We finished
side by side at the flag stand on the same lap that we went thru madness
along side each other!  Wonderful weekend.

Also driving well were George Wright who was minus his OD, Ed
Waddman(sp?), Rich Hone, Dave Siwack(sp) and a new TR3 that had
subsantial trouble all weekend long due to teething problems.  If I
missed someone, sorry, no slight intended.

Also in the paddock was John Harkness who lent his usual wonderful
support to all around in spite of being car less.  The report after
viewing the remains of his axle breakage is that the frame is probably
slightly bent but recoverable and the tub is a bit wankered but also
recoverable.  Left side sheet metal is probably history.  John's body is
in the recovery process and his race brain got a boost from George
Wright who gave him a co-drive in the enduro on Saturday.

Jeff Snook (Grand Wazoo of Battle of Britain Racing) was in a Lotus FF
rent a ride again but has found a donor for his TR3 project.  He and
Glen Efinger are making plans for its transformation as I write this
note.

more later,

mike

mike